Guwahati molestation: CID probe, 11 held so far.

| |

guwahati-girl-molestationJuly 17, Guwahati: The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) have taken over the Guwahati molestation case from Assam government. The state government led by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi decided to hand over the case to CID to ensure transparency in probe especially after reports claimed that a journalist was involved in the crime.

The Chief Minister had personally met the girl and assured her of all possible help. Following the meeting, the CM’s office landed in a controversy after it issued a press release in which the victim”s name was mentioned and her photograph was also shared.

Meanwhile, three more men have been arrested in connection to the Guwahati molestation case taking the total number people held so far to 11. However, the key accused in the case Amar Jyoti Kalita is still at large. According to media report, eleven persons have been arrested in the case so far.

About twenty people were accused to molesting a 20-year-old girl in Guwahati on July 9 based on a video of the molestation recorded by a television journalist. The teenager was assaulted when she came out of a bar in the heart of the city.

Kalita, who goes by the moniker of “Bond” in his Facebook page, is the man in red T-shirt and cap who is seen among the mob of men molesting and assaulting the school girl in the YouTube video.

In a related development, Guwahati”s top police officer was yesterday shunted out following public outrage over handling of the case and his controversial comments over the incident.

City SSP Apurba Jiban Baruah, who had termed the class XI student”s ordeal as a stray incident that was hyped by the national media, has been transferred to Dibrugarh and replaced by SP of that city Arabinda Kalita.

The National Commission for Women had also sought the removal of Baruah.

The victim of the July 9 molestation incident who, on Sunday, deposed before the Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate, Kamrup, and gave her statement in the incident.

She, in her statement, said, “I and my friend were coming out of the bar when the youth started taking pictures from his cell phone. Seeing this, my friend moved towards him and after that I had no idea what happened between them in those few minutes. Suddenly, I was dragged out from the auto I had boarded by a group of youths who started misbehaving with me.”

“Media people also arrived and started clicking my pictures. I shouted for help but to no avail,” the victim in her statement said.

“I even asked the vehicles plying by to stop for my help, though none of them stopped. At last police came and rescued me from the place,” she added in her statement on oath.

News Gathered by India News

Posted by on Tuesday, July 17th, 2012. Filed under India News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply